Sunday, January 10, 2010

Week 4

The best thing about the first four weeks of the course is to realize that although we've read about, watched, listened to and seen first- hand ethical dilemmas it’s refreshing to be in a class with so many people that have a passion for doing what is right.
The people in this ethics class have been a bright spot, actually they have been the bright spot. It makes you proud to know that there are so many individuals still passionate about treating people with decency and respect. The seven layers book, the movies, and the supplemental readings have all reinforced the importance of ethics, but those of us in the "real world" who are working in corporate America need to be the one's exhibiting the layers of integrity and I have faith in my classmates.
The weekly threads that I've read (and contributed to) during the first four weeks have over flown with examples of questionable practices, and code of ethics violations. Knowing that a number of threads that have been initiated as a result of unethical behavior, it would be easy to look at this as the glass being half empty. One could ask, "What is happening, why are there so many examples, where are all the ethical people?" I think the individuals in this class have given us faith in people and doing the right thing.
What I've truly learned or should I say what has been reinforced in me, is that there are a lot of extremely ethical human beings out there. The problem seems to me that as a society (I’m guilty of this too) we tend to pay too much attention to some of the ugly things in the world. At any given time you can turn on the T.V and watch a family, person or group of individuals have a mental breakdown. This is what sells and what many of use choose as our major source of entertainment. So in a way we’re encouraging this type of behavior but we’re not accepting it in our places if business. To me, I believe the glass is half full.

1 comment:

  1. It reminds me of a teaching from my Catholic school days. People are basically good, but with a tendency toward evil.

    ReplyDelete