Saturday, December 12, 2009

Thoughts after Week 1

Well, I've made it through the first week of Ethics and Decision making. The format of the class, the expectations and the assignments haven't been a surprise. I'm familiar with the professor and that familiarity has helped. I actually signed up late for the class and one of the reasons I joined this class was because of the positive experience I had with my previous class.

The one thing that's a little intimidating is that some people in the class have a legal background and work in the legal field. The legal jargon, or quotes from a legal dictionary are not terms I'm familiar with and I find myself reading these entries multiple times to get a clear understanding. It's not a lot but it can frustrating because you so badly want to read these entries and just easily follow what is being said.

Do I find things dull? Hmmm, that's a good question. From what I've read the majority of the class entries on the discussion board have that human element that's important in this class. The level of involvement is excellent and we have diverse backgrounds which in my opinion add to the effectiveness of the class. Could you imagine what the class would be like if we all had the same background and thought the same? This brings me to my next point.

I think we're fortunate that we have differing opinions in the class but I think many of us in the class hold back in fear of hurting someone's feelings. Because we're unable to see someone's facial expressions we hesitate to write something that could be considered controversial. Maybe that's not the case for everyone but for me, I know I hold back a little bit. This is something I'll have to work on. Don't get me wrong, I'll always remain professional and ethical in my communication.

That's what I have for now. I'll be visiting again soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment